Saturday, February 18, 2012

I can't figure out how to sync Facebook with my art blog so people who like humor will just have to put up with pictures of art.

I can't even figure out how to un-sync this blog, so for all eternity the two will be entwined, like spaghetti and meatballs. I hope when I'm gone I can figure out how to blog from beyond the grave. I will probably blog about how great heaven is. Or what we are out of with a plea to Earth to have them sent up to us. I think all these turpentine fumes and bourbon are getting to me, I better get on with it.


I submitted a painting to an art competition in Providence and we were supposed to find out the results 28 hours ago, but they're still not up. How infuriating! Fifty percent of the reason I want to get in is because I want an excuse to go to Providence. I've been meaning to check it out for a couple years because it's supposed to be cool and hip and it's only an hour train ride away. But I have been generally too lazy to go by myself. 


So, the real point of this post is, I should probably put my new art things up somewhere on a more regular basis. Which will be here, until I forget to start doing this, which will be immediately after I post this.


For today, here is a painting I started a few days ago (still unfinished). It is based on a photo my cousin Dan took (hdluk.com) of one of his friends. I thought the photo was beautiful and I want to do more portraits (of people). I made up my own tattoo, because I have no problem stealing art from my cousin but not from the original tattoo artist. Based on extensive internet research, it turns out that koi fish are a very common tattoo and in fact there are more tattoos of koi fish than there are actual koi fish in the world. Also, the typical meaning of the image is perseverance and strength in the face of adversity. I think it works with the general theme of the painting, which I am not going to get into because it is a curator's job to invent that.


1 comment:

Megan said...

You should title this one "The Girl With The Koi Tattoo". It's like that Stieg Larsson book, but better because it's Koi.