Friday, May 08, 2009

Vices: everyone has one, some of the more interesting people have six or seven of them.

Sometimes it's a good idea to give something up, if only to prove to yourself that you can give something up. You also get to tell people you were able to give something up to the acclaim of friends and strangers, as if it was some great personal struggle you have triumphed over. It doesn't even have to be something you like. I gave up coffee last August and was able to abstain for the following six months. I also started drinking in the morning. I find it's much easier to replace a vice than to eliminate it. I also gave up vodka for Lent this year, and lasted all 27 days of it.

I caved and started drinking coffee again this winter, but I'm trying to give it up again because I haven't been acknowledged for anything in a while and would like some encouragement. Methamphetamine seems like a sound replacement. That or jogging.

No comments: