Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cost of Socks Hits Levels Unseen in Years

We all know by now that the record-shattering price of oil is causing the cost of all other products affected by the change to increase significantly. What I didn't expect to rise in price so dramatically: socks. I went to the "Tent" store across the street from my office to buy some new socks because my current pair was soaked from this morning's rain. To my disbelief, it seemed that I had a choice between paying fifteen or twenty dollars for one pair of socks. That's about eight dollars per sock. The upside of this is that while wearing these socks I am completely impervious to hurricanes, blizzards, tornadoes, and the semi-annual "Running of the Brides" sale at Filene's Basement (as the package states, loosely translated). My new socks were the product of sheering forty-three sheep. Comparatively, fifteen dollars is a bargain when you compare it to the hospital bills I would have had to pay once I caught pneumonia from sitting in an air-conditioned environment with wet socks all day. Of course the economic crash we are to expect has only just begun; once things really start looking bleak, we are all going to be wearing paper bags on our feet.

2 comments:

surviving myself said...

is that what they looked like? I really hope so.

and 43 sheep is standard practice. right?

Ashley said...

it is not, unfortunately. that was merely a display of patriotism. the new socks feature no less than five colors, though, so that should reassure you.

43 Large sheep is standard practice in today's market. 33 Extra-large. $15 is for domestic sheep. Socks made from international sheep are greatly affected by the increase in gasoline price, and will run you more than that.