Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Why must babies look at me so skeptically?

I waited in line at the Dunkin' Donuts this morning behind a woman with a small baby in a stroller. Because maybe I should make more of an effort to respect babies as actual human beings, I stared at the baby in an attempt to make it smile or at the very least, kill some time while someone made me coffee. To my surprise, this anonymous baby stared intently at me very skeptically. In response, I stared back at the baby with a similar look of skepticism. What reason did this woman's child have to distrust me so much? What did he know about me? Had he/she heard things? Was it my outfit? I knew I shouldn't have worn these pants. My obvious lack of interest in the field in which I worked? Maybe that baby was right. For those of you unfamiliar with what a skeptical baby looks like, it's a little bit like this:
That is what prompted me to find this article, citing scientific proof that babies are a terrific judge of character. Luckily for me, I think I am a little more complicated than a triangle is and perhaps should not take a strange baby's reaction to heart so much. Also, I can't remember the last time I pushed a red circle with button eyes down a hill just for the fun of it.

No comments: