Monday, February 25, 2008

What it means to be a revolutionary.

A friend of mine suggested I read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood because it "revolutionized non-fiction." She also provided some supporting arguments which I will not reproduce here. My initial response was of course, "hey, I want to revolutionize something too." Which got me to thinking. What does it mean to be a revolutionary? Over the years, there have been hundreds, maybe thousands of known figures who have revolutionized everything from indoor plumbing to government structure. So in essence, you could literally revolutionize anything so long as it significantly changes or modifies the subject in question. What to get out of this: There are millions of untapped resources of things that are just dying to be revolutionized. And who's just the sort of person to be that revolutionary? You are! Also, me. Consider your Wikipedia entry after you have revolutionized plastic cutlery. If you find that nothing can be done with silverware, what about the future for potted houseplants? Now I don't know what sort of changes will be weighty enough to earn you the title of "Revolutionary," but that is only because I don't own houseplants and I eat with my hands. It is going to take a lot of work, but uprooting communism took a lot of work too.

No comments: