Monday, November 12, 2007

The Freedom Trail: The Predecessor to the Modern-Day GPS

Before there were Global Positioning Systems, there was The Freedom Trail. For those who are unfamiliar, The Freedom Trail is a red brick path that leads from downtown Boston to Charlestown, Massachusetts, and ends at the Bunker Hill Monument. I believe it was built in an effort to allow residents to flee quickly from tourists.

But in reality, it is not likely that this historical landmark would find its way into my blog unless it was in some way relevant to me. My own historical event occurred on July 15, 2007, when I moved from the uninviting confines of Allston, Massachusetts, always swarming with Boston University undergraduate students, to Charlestown. It was in Charlestown that I found what I had presumably been needing all my life: a direct pathway personalized to lead me home whenever I had managed to get lost. Which has been a lot. Now I don't even have to leave behind a path of Skittles candy or tape up hand-made signs to lead me to my apartment in event of an emergency; I can just follow the red path, which ends roughly five blocks from my home. If I do manage to stray from the path, I need not have a nervous breakdown. I can usually just rely on a friendly neighborhood golden retriever to help me find my way.

No comments: