Thursday, February 08, 2007

I have more things in common with the elderly than I am currently comfortable with.

I went for a swim yesterday at my health club. Satisfied with my efforts and feeling refreshed, I stepped out of the pool and was asked by a much older woman sitting by the pool if I'd had a good workout. I answered that I thought so and she said "Yeah, I just get so bored after thirty minutes ..." Hm. Can the same activity that is a good, solid, although somewhat monotonous workout for me be an utter bore for an elderly woman? I only notice this because it is just one example in a string of instances which would lead me to believe I was an elderly woman myself, if I didn't know better.

Erma Bombeck is one of my favorite authors. Although I find her hilarious and easy to relate to, I am aware that her audience is principally made up women aged 75+. I have ordered several of her books over the internet, used. Inside these books, I have found a tattered Christmas gift tag addressed to Grandma Miller from Billy, and a page-long dedication from Greg to his mother in 1985 on the inside front cover. In 1985, Greg has already come to realize how much his aging mother means to him "through all these years." Greg's mother, however, didn't find the sentiment important enough to stop her from auctioning the book off on ebay. Should I consider it a problem that I can share laughter and tears over the same trials and hardships of life with 85 year-old women? Moreover, what am I going to read when I'm 85?

1 comment:

Josh said...

Hawking it on eBay doesn't take away from the sentimental value. Once she knew his feelings about "all those years" yadda yadda, she was free to trade that book up for something new and exciting, like maybe an electric carving knife. I traded the book and card that you sent me for a box of low-carb snickers marathon bars on craigslist. Once that post card gets here, I will see what I can trade it for as well. With that in mind, make it good. Sentimental value has a lot of resale value.