Monday, November 27, 2006

You can't force a kid to eat ice cream ... even if you tell them it came from outer space.

While at the Museum of Science with my family on Saturday, I decided to buy my 5 year old cousin a bag of Astronaut Ice cream as part of her birthday gift. I figure no kid should be denied the privilege of eating 3 cubic inches of this unidentifiable powdered substance at least once in their lifetime, but mostly I bought it because I haven't had it in years and wanted some. For $3 a bag, it's smaller than I remember, but not small enough to leave you wanting more. It turns out she would rather eat the aluminum bag it came in. I think she really wanted to like it, or at least appear like she was enjoying it, because I had gone through the trouble of buying it for her. While eating astronaut ice cream in the back of the car on the way home, she would take a piece, lick it, and hand it back to me, as if I had expressed interest in saving her discarded pieces of astronaut candy. Verdict? Some kids like the taste of chalk, others don't. Experience should be repeated every 5-7 years. Was it worth it? Absolutely.

No comments: