Friday, May 19, 2006

The Children are Our Future. Well they're not MY future, but they might be your future.

On this eerily cold Friday night, my brother and I went to the local Barnes and Noble for enjoyment. You might wonder what I was doing surrounded by books on a Friday night. Do the books also dispense liquor, you ask? (No. I tried.) As you may recall, I had hopes that by graduation I might spontaneously regenerate my health. And as it appears, if the amount of time you spend sober is greater in proportion to the amount of time you are inebriated, your body has a greater chance of fighting off documented medical conditions like "perpetual colds." (So instead of making myself sick, I am spending time in the "medical history" section of books? That's kind of weird .. ) I'm feeling quite better these days.

Anyway, the point of this post (if there is one) is that teenagers live very differently than I remember growing up. Tonight I overheard some teenage girl suggesting they go to the Dunkin Robbins afterward. Dunkin Robbins! Imagine! Not only will she have the world of donuts to choose from, but she will be entertained by all 31 recognized flavors of ice cream. And I think that's one of the main differences between their world and mine. These kids are growing up in a time where they don't have to choose. Not only Dunkin Robbins, but other combined franchises like Long Jon Silvers/Taco Bell, KFC/A&W, and of course the Togo's/Dunkin/Robbins (now that's just greedy). If these kids don't even learn how to choose one fast food at a time, how are they going to impetuously pick a career for themselves when they are prompted by their student advisors under the 800 watt lightbulb that doubles as an interrogation device? I just don't know.

And don't tell me it's because I'm jealous and I never actually learned to make decisions myself. Also don't try and tell me that Dunkin Robbins has been around since I was in high school. I may not have done the proper research when I began this post. But I was too busy deciding between a light beer and a genuine draft.

No comments: