Saturday, January 07, 2006

Things taste better when you think they're expensive.

I spent last night in the city with a friend of mine, which further confirmed my belief that there are a whole lot of middle-aged men in Chicago with spiky hair and black button-down shirts looking to pick up much younger women. This is disconcerting to me, and is probably the reason I don't spend much time downtown. Well, that and the $8 dollar gin and tonics. If you are as serious as I am about gin and tonics, eight dollars is a high price to pay every time I need to reduce sobriety. And they fill it with way too much ice and tonic. What gives? So anyway, we head to some club so I can be ridiculed for my gym shoes and lack of interest in the mass orgy that is taking place on the dance floor while I am blinded by flashing strobe lights. We meet up with the guy she is currently interested in, who was a contestant (and winner) on Elimidate. I never thought I'd meet someone from Elimidate, one of my favorite trashy dating shows currently on television, so of course I had a slew of questions for him. His friend was apparently on some Discovery channel expose called "The Making of a Hangover." I'm not sure if I should believe him or he was just trying to impress me with his celebrity. My friend, who is simultaneously the most intelligent and the dumbest person that I know, is genuinely fooled into believing that the Boone's Farm we picked up at the liquor store for the high cost of $2.50 per bottle is actually a $60 liquor. She was amazed at how much these boys were willing to spend on us and at how good things taste when you think they are way more expensive than they actually are.

4 comments:

howardclinton5545 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

Jonk said...

Uncle Leo's kid's blog is better than Ashley's.

ashley said...

If it isn't mine it isn't interesting.

ashley said...

I've discovered something even more disturbing than the $8 Chicago gin and tonic ... the $15 New York gin and tonic. God help us.