Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Another reason why school is hazardous to your health and should be avoided.

Not a very good start to the new semester.

On the way to my very first class on the very first day of the new semester, I walked home less than five minutes after class started clutching a paper towel to my head. Any particular reason? you ask. It's just another embarrassing day in my life.

I'm enrolled in a course called "Science in the Enlightenment" which is held on the ninth floor of Memorial Library. Because it's held in the Special Collections Department, the books are very old and visitors are asked to put their belongings in lockers provided before entering the seminar room. After putting my bag in a bottom locker, I stand up perhaps a bit too quickly, knocking my noggin into the corner of a top wooden locker. Now, this is possibly the loudest sound I've ever heard my head make, but I'm tough, so I don't make a fuss. The guy witnessing it to my left asks, "whoa, are you okay?" Yeah, I'm cool, I say. Well, yeah, I'm "cool" until I take my hand away from my head and notice it is covered with blood. I book it to the bathroom, trying to mop up my head which won't stop bleeding, and decide I'm going to have to spend the rest of the semester in this bathroom. A librarian walks in and asks if I need a bandaid, but no, I'm fine with this stack of paper towels and the sleeve of my sweater, which is also functioning as a clean-up tool. I'm too embaressed to go back by the classroom to get my stuff, so I send the librarian to my locker for me. Sneaking out the back stairway, I decide to call it quits for the day, and ponder whether this is just a streak of bad luck or whether I should consider it a bad omen for 2006. Now I'm back home finding this incident quite humorous, yet humbling. The only kind of first aid I have is Spiderman band-aids, which I'm not sure I will be putting on my head. My hair, on the other hand, is streaked a pretty shade of red that I am growing to like. Looking back on the experience, they should really make you sign a waiver before entering the library.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Ohhhh Ashley...only you would find yourself in this situation! Hope your head is back to normal now :)

Jonk said...

Well Ashley, I read over your blog, and I found it inquisitive. You may find Howard Clinton's blog interesting. It is about his day-to-day life as a park ranger and his many ordeals fighting bedbugs.
Click Here To Read His Blog

ashley said...

don't read howard's blog.