Friday, December 16, 2005

I swear, I'm not taking any drugs

Finals week are a source of stress for most students. For me, they are a prime source for developing nervous habits and mastering the nervous breakdown. While I always start with good intentions, the inevitable anxiety attack will occur, no matter what preventative measures I have taken. This semester, it came early. I began my class-free day at 11:30 am, leisurely working up the nerve to study for tomorrow's Medicine & Pharmacy exam. By four pm, I got an unnerving message from a classmate, something about the ten-page paper that was scheduled to be due Monday really being due tomorrow. What follows is a series of emails between me and my unsuspecting professor.

Friday, December 16, 2005 4:02 pm
Subject: Paper II
Professor Nabokov:
Just to clarify, is the paper still being accepted by email this Monday, the 19th? I thought I had understood you, but a classmate's comments slightly confused me. Thanks!
Ashley


Friday, December 16, 2005 4:05 pm
Subject: Uh .... oops.
Professor DOLININ:
Please disregard the last email when I addressed you as "Professor Nabokov." I can't believe I actually did that. (You can tell I'm not stressed out our anything) You can take that mistake as a compliment.
Ashley ***** (that name, I'm sure about)


Friday, December 16, 2005 6:40 pm
Subject: Re: Uh .... oops.
As a matter of fact, please disregard both emails. In conversing with another student I realized it was a misunderstanding. If we are turning it in tomorrow, would you prefer it to be emailed to you? Additionally, what time tomorrow morning is the latest you will be accepting? Thanks, and sorry for the excessive e-mailing.
Ashley


Friday, December 16, 2005 9:15 pm
Subject Re: Uh .... oops.
Dear Ashley,
you paid me an undeserved compliment. Thanks!
I am leaving on Monday at about 11:00 A.M. So please send your paper no later than 10:00. Otherwise I won't have time to download it until many days later.
Best,
Prof. Dolinin


Friday, December 16, 2005 9:24 pm
Subject: This will be the last time I frantically email you ... promise
Just to clarify (because I am completely neurotic), the paper should be e-mailed to you no later than MONDAY at 10 am? Classmates have been telling me it was actually due tomorrow so I'm a tad confused. I just wanted to make sure - whenever you say it is due, it will be completed and turned in. I really enjoyed your class and thanks for all your help!
Ashley

If you will notice, there is one email from my professor per every three emails from myself. So I sit here, at 10 pm, hopped up on caffeine, waiting for yet another email, not sure whether I should study for tomorrow's 7:45 am or finish my paper, but nonetheless wrapped up in a cocoon of my own nervousness and uncertainty.

*Just a note to that 20% or less of you who were affected by my mis-information. Apparently, it was due on Saturday. I think. I got emailed back Saturday at 6 PM whereby he said I could have more time if I needed. So I didn't actually screw any of you over, I was just wrong (not surprisingly).

No comments: