Friday, November 04, 2005

I am Human Mad Libs

Now for my favorite part of the month. That is when I rediscover my love for online translating sources (http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr) and have what elementary school children call a field day translating creatively-engineered sentences into beautiful foreign works of art.

I do not know a single language other than English. A little Spanish (the remnants of a four year high school education ... which is to say, not much). I'd learn but as you may have already noticed, I do not have the capacity/patience/will-power to do so.

As such, I present to you one of my all-time favorite things to do. The first one is a freebie. It's in Francais, so voila:

La gaine est meilleure une fois appréciée dehors dans les groupes de trois ou plus, de préférence quand il y a un présent de Manuel et probablement un Kimberly. C'est pourquoi les Inuits ne dînent pas généralement gaine.

Okay, actually this didn't work. No, no this is not the translation. What, you don't believe me? I'm serious. What it actually says is:
The sheath is better once appreciated outside in the groups of three or more, preferably when one present ago of Handbook and probably Kimberly. This is why Inuits generally do not dine sheath.

But that's not what it was supposed to say!!
What I had typed was:
Spaghetti is best enjoyed outdoors, in groups of three or more, preferably when one Manuel is present and probably a Kimberly. This is generally why Inuits do not have spaghetti dinners.

Obviously, we have a bit of a problem here. Sheath and spaghetti are a little too closely related en Francais.

No comments: